Thursday, June 16, 2011

Midnight in Sacramento 1Y-6M-9D

Last night I made my way to my favorite spot in Sacramento, the Tower Theater. Tower is widely known in the independent cinema community in town for the consistent quality in selection of film, not to mention appealing ticket prices.  I'd been waiting for weeks to take in Woody Allen's latest Midnight in Paris; and was therefore happy to trade an evening at the bars with friends, with what was sure to be a love letter to Paris written in Woody's trademark snark. 


Owen Wilson is charming as the Allen-esque lead; but even he is overshadowed by a parade of well cast artists and writers of the 1920's ranging from a spot on Hemingway to a comical Dali. Wilson's character Gil is discontent, engaged to the unlikable Inez successfully played by the usually delightful Rachel McAdams. Gil is enraptured by the streets Paris, longing to have lived there in the 20's, what he considers to be its 'golden age.' 


The film explores questions about the disappointments of life, love and fear of death. A quotation by Hemingway (Corey Stoll) particularly struck me.  Although I cannot remember it exactly, it was something to the effect of "If you fear death, have good sex until you no longer do."


While enjoying this beautiful film I couldn't help but miss Paris myself.  The last time I was lucky enough to visit was 2008, and I am once again keen to make the trip.  That of course will take some time, and until then I am satisfied to have walked the Champs-Elysées without having to leave mid-town.


And yes, I even made it out to the bars in time for last call...what a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment